Home page

U’khand tries to woo tourists back

Ahmedabad

After last year’s devastating floods that saw over 5,000 people losing lives and a loss of Rs 12,000 crore to the state exchequer, Uttarakhand government officials and Uttarakhand Hotel Association (UHA) members have now trying to woo tourists back to the state. A four-member delegation met travel agents and tour operators of Ahmedabad to convey that the state is now normal and all tourist spots are fit for tourism again.

“The calamity last year had hugely affected Kedarnath temple and the route to the temple but people thought that the whole state was affected which is not the case,” said Sandeep Sahni, president, UHA. Like every year, the schedule of yatra has been retained. “This year, the season will begin with Gangotri and Yamunotri yatra on May 2,” said Sahni. As per state authorities, the route restoration work is going on war-footing and is expected to be ready in time for yatra.

Gujaratis constitute a substantial portion of the tourists visiting Uttarakhand every year. “Delhi, Punjab, Gujarat, Maharashtra and West Bengal contribute the most to the tourism revenue in our state. After Ahmedabad, we plan to visit Mumbai,” said Umakant Pawar, secretary, department of tourism, Uttarakhand.

Read the full report here, Times of India

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here