Adventure Tourism

Nepal extends Everest climbing permits after quake

KATHMANDU

Nepal has extended the climbing permits of hundreds of mountaineers forced to abandon Everest after last year’s massive earthquake, to try to lure tourists back to the Himalayas, an official said on Tuesday.

Climbers, who paid $11,000 each for a permit last year, quit their expeditions in droves when the April quake triggered an avalanche on Everest base camp that killed 18 people, reports The Times of India.

The quake marked the second year with almost no summits on Everest after the deaths of 16 Nepali guides in an avalanche in 2014 sparked a shutdown of the world’s highest peak.

“The government has decided to extend permits for two years in order to compensate those climbers who could not continue their expeditions due to the earthquake,” said tourism department chief Gobinda Bahadur Karki.

Nearly 9,000 people lost their lives when the 7.8-magnitude quake ripped through Nepal, triggering avalanches and landslides that buried part of Everest base camp and destroyed the popular Langtang trekking route.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here