Railways

Ex DMRC chief to submit report on ITO Metro

DELHI

After a long blame game on the delay in opening of Metro stretch between Mandi House and ITO, the urban development ministry has asked former DMRC chief E Sreedharan to look into the legal and operational aspects of the case. He has been asked to submit a report quickly so that a decision on opening of the single line can be taken.

Though work on the station and the tracks for this stretch, which forms part of the Badarpur-Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate corridor, had been completed by early February, DMRC and commissioner of Metro rail safety have been locked in a technical fight over safe operation of trains passing through the station, reports Economic Times.

The issue came up for discussion on Thursday at a meeting convened by urban development minister M Venkaiah Naidu on the delays in getting security certificates for completed Metro projects.

Sources said that commissioner of railway safety was of the view that single line sections can’t be made functional while DMRC took the view that there was no such restriction in the Metro Railways (Operation and Maintenance Act). “In view of the differences in interpretation of the Act, Naidu has asked Sreedharan to examine the relevant provisions in detail for giving an opinion for further consideration,” said a ministry spokesperson.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here