Protest notwithstanding Andhra Pradesh road transport authorities continued cracking down on private buses operators and seized 11 buses on Tuesday taking to the number of buses confiscated for violating norms to 1500.
The clampdown on the private operators began October 30 Mahabubnagar Volvo bus accident which claimed 45 lives. In a similar incident seven were killed near Haveri in Karnataka in November. The RTA officials said as they conducted the drive on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway on Tuesday the buses belong to different private travel agencies were found to be violating safety rules.
The officials had seized over 35 private buses plying between Bengaluru and Hyderabad for violating permit rules on NH 44 in Anantapur district on Monday. “We are thoroughly checking buses at various points and check posts and initiating action,” said T Raghunath, joint transport commissioner.
Coming under severe criticism after the Volvo bus belong to Jabbar Travels was gutted after hitting a culvert on Bangalore-Hyderabad near Hyderabad killing 45 passengers on board on October 30, the AP government cracked whip on the private operators. And the officials said 1500 buses had been seized so far and the owners had been prosecuted.
Read the full report here, Times of India