Culture

₹100 crore more for Muziris heritage project

KOCHI: A total of ₹100 crore would be spent for taking the Muziris heritage zone project forward, Kerala Finance Minister Thomas Isaac said on Saturday, September 24.

A maritime museum, spread across 40 acres and costing ₹50 crore, would be built in the heritage zone while another ₹50 crore would be spent to conserve and build museums and heritage sites in the locale, reports The Hindu.

While expressing concern at the inordinate delay in completing works related to the project, he said that the second phase work on the heritage project would be completed in another three years. Addressing media persons here after a visit to Muziris, he said that ₹100 crore had been spent on the project.

“All components of the heritage project should have been completed by now, as per the initial schedule. But less than half the work is over. Only nine of the 20 museums are ready. Renovation of Kottapuram and Paravur markets is not even half way through. Similarly, construction of a museum near the Pattanam excavation site is encountering problems due to opposition from the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). The issue will be taken up with the Centre,” Mr. Isaac, who played a key role in kick-starting the conservation efforts a decade ago, said.

He said that much more needed to be done to make museums educative, lively and interactive. Neither the local bodies nor the local population was taken into confidence during the past five years in carrying out the project.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here